• Held WEC lightweight title from October 2009 to December 2010
• Eight wins by submission, two by knockout
• Won WEC Fight of the Night honors for Cerrone I and Pettis bouts
• Won WEC Submission of the Night honors for Cerrone II win
• Loss to Pettis was his first since March 2007
• On six fight winning streak
I'm training 4-5 times per day right now, with each workout focusing on a different area of MMA.
When and why did you start training for fighting?
In 2006. I was coaching at my alma mater for the wrestling team and I took a fight on a whim because my friends didn't think I would do it.
What ranks and titles have you held?
UFC lightweight champion, former WEC Lightweight Champion, Two-Time NAIA Collegiate All-American wrestler, Black Belt in Taekwondo, and Brown Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Do you have any heroes?
Jesus, my Mother, Clark Kent and Steve Rogers, Steve Costanzo...What is your favorite technique?
The winning technique...What does it mean for you to fight in the UFC?
It means a lot. To fight in the UFC
is a lot of validation for taking a crazy, wild ride of a career rather than doing a typical career. It validates that I picked a good career and that I’m progressing the way that I want to progress and that I’m working my way toward the top.Did you go to college and if so what degree did you earn?
The Dana College in Blair, NE. Graduated with a double-major in criminal justice and sociology... What was your job before you started fighting? Wrestling