- His first fight with Bonnar in 2005 is credited with putting MMA on the mainstream map in the United States.
- First pro fight was against UFC Hall of Famer Dan Severn – Griffin lost a three round decision.
- Fought UFC vets Jeff Monson (WDec4), Ebenezer Fontes Braga (Wsub1), and Jeremy Horn (KO by 2) before beginning his UFC career.
- Was inactive all of 2004 and considered retirement before The Ultimate Fighter show called.
- Second Ultimate Fighter alum to return to the show as a coach (Matt Serra was the first) and fifth overall (joining Rashad Evans, Mike Bisping, and Josh Koscheck).
- Second TUF alum to win UFC championship (following Matt Serra) and third overall (joining Rashad Evans).
- Won Fight of the Night award for bouts against Silva, Evans, Jackson. Won Submission of the Night against Rua.
As my body has gotten older I do a lot more drilling and technique work (which yeah, I find very exciting). I spar less often but in a more specific way.When and why did you start training for fighting?
I started in 2000, in the police academy. How did I get into it? Just got lucky I guess.What ranks and titles have you held?
Former UFC Light Heavyweight
Champion, The Ultimate Fighter
1 Light Heavyweigh
t winner.Do you have any heroes?
Heroes? Not really. I admire guys like Randy (Couture
) and Chuck (Liddell)
for their work ethic and the way they balance their lives and training.What is your favorite technique?
That's tough. I’m up for anything that will work.What does it mean for you to fight in the UFC?
It means I get to do what I love most in life for a job.Did you go to college and if so what degree did you earn?
University Of Georgia- Major: B.A. in Political Science.What was your job before you started fighting?
Police officer, student.