• Five of last nine wins by knockout.
• 5-0 against fighters who previously faced former teammate Keith Jardine (Quinton Jackson, Stephan Bonnar, Thiago Silva, Chuck Liddell, Forrest Griffin)
• Third Ultimate Fighter winner to win a UFC title (along with Griffin and Matt Serra)
• KO of Liddell was deemed 2008 Knockout of The Year by many outlets
• Beat four heavyweights to win The Ultimate Fighter season two – one of those heavyweights was current light heavyweight contender and good friend Keith Jardine.
• Knockout win over Sean Salmon in 2007 was one of the best KOs of the year.
• Last submission win came in 2004.
• Won KO of the Night for Salmon and Liddell bouts; Won Fight of the Night for Griffin and Ortiz II bouts
My typical day starts at 6am with strength & conditioning. Then team practice is at 10:30, which on any given day may cover any one of the many disciplines in MMA. At 5pm I return. I follow this routine until Sunday & have off. I have strength class on Monday and Wednesday, but on the other mornings I still do just my conditioningWhen and why did you start training for fighting?
I started to train in 2003 after I graduated from college. I love fighting so much and I figured why take the chance of fighting in the streets when I can get paid to fight in the Octagon. Even though the street fights are a lot of fun, I put it behind me and started to train with a true purpose.
Do you have any heroes?
My mother is my hero because she is such a strong person. I have never even seen her cry.
What does it mean for you to fight in the UFC?
is the top, and a great organization. I have been a big fan since my adolescent years when I use to take karate. I can remember like it was yesterday my best friend and I watching one of the events. We said one day we will be fighting in the UFC. So what is like to fight in the UFC? It’s a dream come true.
Did you go to college and if so what degree did you earn?
Michigan State University, Psychology 2003.What was your job before you started fighting?
I worked at a hospital in Lansing doing security. Next to this job it was my favorite job. You learn a lot about life working in a hospital, the lessons I learned in the hospital you can't learn many places.
Accomplishments in amateur competition?
Junior College National Champion for Niagara Community College. All-American wrestler.Accomplishments in pro competition?
Former UFC Light Heavyweight
Champion, TUF 2 heavyweight
winner, TUF 10 coachRanks in any martial arts styles:
NoneFavorite grappling technique: KimuraFavorite Striking technique: Left hook