• Former Division II college football linebacker whose dream was to play in the NFL. Twice Carwin earned All-American honors in football and he was even invited to participate in the NFL Draft Combine in Indianapolis along with top prospects.
• Football’s loss is MMA’s gain: Carwin said that the disappointment of going undrafted in the NFL – and also failing to be among the undrafted collegians who were invited by teams to mini-camp “auditions” -- was a significant factor in his decision to become an MMA fighter
• 11 of his wins have come in under 2 minutes (a phenomenal show of swiftness)
• Has largest hands in UFC history; wears a 3XL and sometimes a 4XL, giving him a massive fist size on par with heavyweight
boxing great George Foreman
• Packs serious one-punch knockout
power: Trainer Trevor Wittman compares Carwin’s punching
power with boxing icon Mike Tyson
• Employed as a mechanical engineer with his local water district
• Graduated from Western State College with a degree in Engineering
pedigree: Division II national wrestling champ (1999), 2x national runner-up
• Purple belt, Brazilian jiu-jitsu
Training is anything but typical for me. I have so much I am working on as a mixed martial artist that I tend to be training all the time. My days begin with some cardio training, then I work on my stand up with Coach Wittman. From there I have wrestling
and then we do our pro sparring which usually consists of five rounds of hard sparring. We have so many great fighters training with us here at Grudge. We have guys like Brendan Schaub, Eliot Marshall, Nate Marquardt, Todd Duffee and many more talented guys pushing each other. Then we have the coaches that run all of the training. Guys like Coach Leister Bowling, Coach Trevor Wittman, Coach Amal Easton, and Coach Loren Landow. And then I have Forged Fuel cooking for me.When and why did you start training for fighting?
Actually, I was just helping out with the wrestling
portion of training about three years ago and became extremely interested in the sport and before I knew it….I was fighting.What ranks and titles have you held
? Interim UFC heavyweight
champion, 2x NCAA Div II Wrestling National Runner-up HWT (1996,1997). NCAA II Wrestling National Champion HWT (1999). 2x NCAA II All-American in Football. Ring of Fire HWT Champion.Do you have any heroes?
My mom, she raised three boys on her own and her major goal was to make sure all we all received college degrees.What does it mean for you to fight in the UFC?
It’s a real dream come true. The UFC
is the NFL of mixed martial arts.Did you go to college and if so what degree did you earn?
Colorado School of Mines BS in Mechanical Engineering and Western State College BA in Environmental TechnologyWhat was your job before you started fighting?
Currently still an EngineerFavorite grappling technique:
SlamFavorite Striking technique:
that connects - there is something about that feeling