• Winner season 12 of The Ultimate Fighter, 155 pounds
• Blows people away and wins them over with his off-the-charts humility and sincerity. Highly intelligent and articulate, and not afraid to talk openly about battling insecurities and an identity crisis stemming from growing up bi-racial (mix of white and black) in predominantly white Portland, Ore., and also yearning to know the father who abandoned him
• Sister died young and suddenly after giving birth to a child
• Was an NAIA college wrestler at Lindenwood University, northwest of St. Louis
• Has returned to college in Florida and is presently working toward a degree in Mass Communications
• Two-time state champ wrestler in Portland
• Purple Belt, Brazilian jiu-jitsu
TRAINING: No day is ever typical in training for this fight. Never have I ever had typical training regimens and I guess I just can’t start now. I do spar numerous times a week and practice jiu-jitsu throughout the week as well. Those are the biggest consistencies.
When and why did you start training for fighting? I was in college on a wrestling scholarship, and it just wasn't working out for me, I wanted to try other things and that led me right to this.
What ranks and titles have you held? TUF 12 winner
Do you have any heroes? Jack Johnson, Joe Louis, Sugar Ray Robinson, all previous warriors before me who became masters of their craft.
What is your favorite technique? I don't really have one yet. I'm still working on mastering a few.
What does it mean for you to fight in the UFC? It means the world to me. It’s exactly why I started in this sport. It’s the epitome of all I’ve been working for and it’s where I want to be.
Did you go to college and if so what degree did you earn? I was working on getting a degree in mass communication. I have about a year and a half left, which I assure you I will finish.
What was your job before you started fighting? Everything and Everything. You name it, I've probably done it. From working at a pizza joint, to washing windows, to laying brick. None of them enjoyable.