• Graduated with a bachelor’s of science degree from University of California-Davis, where he was also a standout on the Division I wrestling team
• Renowned for a very cutting edge approach to conditioning and fitness. Abides by a very strict and uber-healthy diet, exclusively eating organic foods with the freshest and purest ingredients. Was raised on that type of diet and hosts a Web site called eatlikeachamp.com
• Owner of the “FORM” brand of MMA lifestyle apparel, which also sponsors the likes of UFC light heavyweight
champ Jon “Bones” Jones
contender Anthony Pettis
, among others
• Pioneer who, along with guys like Miguel Torres
and Jens Pulver
, put the lighter weights on the map
• A charismatic, perpetually positive energy-type who is a particular favorite of female fight fans, for some reason (could be the long, curly locks and surfer boy charm). Arguably the “coolest” fighter in the UFC.
• Former featherweight
champ (145 pounds) who has since dropped to the 135-pound category
• Born May 14, 1979
• Proudly resides in Sacramento, California
• Holds notable wins over Jens Pulver
(twice), Ivan Menjivar
, former WEC champ Eddie Wineland
, Jeff Curran
and Takeya Mizugaki.
Only fighter to defeat current UFC bantamweight
champ Dominick Cruz
Pro practice starts from 9:30am to 11:15. After that I do some mitt work with Master Thong from 3-4:30 then we roll no gi BJJ from 6-7:30.
When and why did you start training for fighting?
I’ve always had a passion for fighting. I started wrestling
in the 8th grade and have never stopped. I began training in MMA in 2003 after graduating from UC Davis.What ranks and titles have you held?
Former WEC Featherweight
Champion, purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-JitsuDo you have any heroes?
My parentsWhat is your favorite technique?
I like to try to invent new techniques. My favorite moves come from the moment.What does it mean for you to fight in the UFC?
It’s been a long time dream of mine. It's been a goal of mine from the start and I'm excited to finally get the opportunity.
Did you go to college and if so what degree did you earn?
I have a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of California, Davis.What was your job before you started fighting?
I was a student at UC Davis and began fighting professionally shortly after graduation. I also coached wrestling at UC Davis while beginning my MMA career.